Tenterfield Nursery will use Forest School to enrich our Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum. The children visit the nature reserve in our local Primary school every other Thursday. We have a morning or an afternoon session.
Why are we using Forest School at Tenterfield?
Research shows us that children are stimulated by the outdoors. Taking part in Forest Schools children typically experience, over time, an increase in:
- Self belief
- Learning capacity
- Emotional wellbeing
What will a Forest School session look like?
Forest School sessions will follow the same routine each week and this is what a typical session will look like:
- Welcome time – The children are welcomed at Tenterfield in their colour groups. Their key person will talk about the rules for the session, and use visual timelines to explain the routine for the session.
- Walk – The children walk over to the road to St Mary’s. there is a high ratio of adults to children. Safety is a high priority and staff risk assess the nature reserve before every session.
- Forest School – The key person gives an introduction to the session using a story, song, game, activity, special item, puppets, characters etc., to inspire the children.
- Free Choice – The children choose which activities they would like to engage in, adults may model. Some activites include pond dipping, log dogs, den building, fairy houses, bug hunting and many more!
- Circle time – Time at the end of a session to reflect and share. This will include a story and small snack
How will I know how my child is getting on in Forest School sessions?
Photos from sessions will be shared on Tapestry.
Assessment (of the EYFS) will happen regularly and will be included in your child’s learning records, to be shared with parents periodically.
What do I need to provide?
Children will spend the entire 1 hour session outdoors, come rain or shine. For your child to enjoy their session they must be warm and dry. Please provide your child with the following:
- Wellies (to be kept at nursery)
- Warm Socks. Extra pair for cold weather
- Long trousers (thick tracksuit bottoms are ideal)
- Long-sleeved top (2-3 layers for cold weather)
- Hat (sun or winter)
- Gloves/scarf for colder days
- Names on clothes
- A SPARE set of trousers, long sleeved top and socks with a plastic bag for dirty clothes to go home in.
Please use old clothes and let your child know that at Forest School they CAN GET DIRTY and you don’t mind!
We will provide waterproof suits so that children can play outdoors whatever the weather. They will wear these for each Forest School session.
If you have any questions or would like any further information regarding Forest School at Tenterfield, please speak to your child’s key person.